Champaign, IL. (ECWd) -
The City of Champaign, IL. will hold an Emergency Meeting this morning to pass an Ordinance related to the "Emergency Created by the Impact of the COVID-19 Virus" - better known as the "Coronavirus" or the "Wuhan Virus."
The City proposes to grant extraordinary powers to the Mayor, which include (starting on page 8 of the below pdf):
- Violating parts of the Open Meetings Act
- Ban sale of firearms and ammunition
- Ban sale of any alcohol
- Closing of all bars, taverns, liquor stores, etc
- Ban sale or giving away of gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank permanently fixed to a motor vehicle
- Direct the shutoff of power, water, gas, etc
- Take possession of private property and obtain full title to same
- Prohibit or restrict ingress and egress to and from the City
One thing noticeably absent? The Mayor will not have the power to prohibit the sale of marijuana...
Read the proposed Ordinance here or below: