Springfield (ECWd) -
First, they want to ban you from pumping your own gas, now this.
Illinois Senator Laura Fine has proposed legislation SB3313 that ban's gas-powered leaf blowers.
No, this is no joke.
In fact, if the proposed legislation passes, a person could face up to a $500 civil penalty!
Why is such legislation needed according to Senator Laura Fine?
- (1)gas-powered leaf blowers are detrimental to the health of the citizens of the State of Illinois and the quality of the environment
- (2)two-stroke and four-stroke engines used in gas-powered leaf blowers emit exceedingly high rates of pollutants, including, but not limited to, carbon monoxide, nitrous oxides, and hydrocarbons;
- (3)the chemical pollutants that gas-powered leaf blowers emit can contribute to smog formation and acid rain
- (4)gas-powered leaf blowers generate noise at a decibel level capable of causing hearing loss in a short amount of time;(5) gas-powered leaf blowers send dust and other small particles into the air for considerable distances,
- (5) gas-powered leaf blowers send dust and other small particles into the air for considerable distances including, but not limited to, animal feces, trace quantities of heavy metals such as lead, and allergens such as pollen and mold.
We encourage Senator Fine to first review the Federal government regulatory rules on emissions for small equipment.
One can only speculate how she intends to "trump" Federal Regulations.