PARIS, Ill. (ECWd) –
After allegations of approximately $3.24 million of unallowed grant expenditures within Paris Union School District 95, Acting Superintendent Lorraine Bailey submitted the district’s corrective action plan to the Illinois State Board of Education.
From the Corrective Action Plan for each grant:
- complete additional training by June 30, 2024
- complete asset management training and industrial appraisal by June 30, 2024
- complete physical inventory by June 30, 2024
- establish new purchase order process by June 30, 2024
- review chart of accounts and monthly review of chart of accounts by June 30, 2024
- wage approvals and payroll structured process by June 30, 2024
- ensure proper employee licensure for their positions by August 31, 2023
- detail grant process to ensure only allowable expenditures by June 30, 2024
- submit precise periodic grant expenditure reports by June 30, 2024
The district also asked for technical report for: Requested Technical Support Paris Union School District No. 95 is asking for the following technical support from the Illinois State Board of Education to ensure compliance with the corrective action plan as outlined above.
1. The District is asking for the ISBE Nutrition Program to meet with the business department to help develop a spend-down plan.
2. The District is asking for the ISBE Funding and Disbursement Department to meet with the business department to provide training on expenditure reports for the final quarter of a fiscal year in terms of obligated funds.
3. The District is asking for the ISBE Title Department to provide training to the business
department on identifying equipment in grants in terms of differentiating inventory requirements for object 500 and 700 series.
4. The District is asking if the 21st Century Community Learning Center grant could receive a programmatic review in FY24 if feasible.
5. The District is asking if the Nutrition Department could receive a fiscal and programmatic review in 2024 if feasible.
Established a purchase order process for grants:
1. A person will be assigned as a coordinator of each grant. Each individual grant coordinator will be given information about the grant as to purpose and appropriate expenditures, etc. They will then help develop goals in line with the purpose of the grant in a meeting with the grant consultant for the purpose of grant submission to ISBE.
2. The grant coordinator will maintain a list of staff involved in the grant. The coordinator will meet with appropriate staff involved in the grant to gather their input for what is needed to accomplish goals as identified in the grant application. These needs may include professional development, supplies, equipment, etc. This information will be used to develop a budget which will be reviewed by the grant coordinator and grant consultant.
3. The grant coordinator and the grant consultant will verify that any spending is appropriate for the grant.
4. Once this information has been assembled, it will be given to the superintendent and/or business manager for entry into the AWAS system.
See attached Corrective Action Plan for more details.Corrective Action Plan - Paris 95