Poplar Grove, IL. (ECWd) –
Owen Costanza, former Poplar Grove Village President who still passes himself off as Village President on Facebook, filed two sets of election petitions for Trustee of Poplar Grove, IL.
He withdrew the “2-year unexpired” set of petitions and left his “4-year unexpired, or full term” petition set in place.
A local attorney assisted in filing petition objections to Costanza’s remaining petitions citing the following problems:
- Petition Sheet confusing: some have “4-year unexpired” and some have “4-year” marked on their face
- There is no position of 4-year unexpired
- This leads to the likelihood of confusion for voters
- Did not submit the required receipt for his Statement of Economic Interest with this set of petitions
- Not enough signatures if “4-year unexpired” sheets are disqualified
Costanza recently admitted in court that all of the publications concerning his criminal past, insurance license revocations, fines, lies – everything he complained of in his lawsuit against a reporter and residents was in fact true.
Costanza, while Village President, even used the Village’s official Facebook page for electioneering. – which is prohibited.