United States (ECWd) -
Illinois Governor JB Pritzker has taken to the airways pretty much every day, and managed in some form or fashion to take verbal shots at the President as well as the Federal Government as it relates to the China virus COVID-19. As if the local press briefings are not enough, Pritzker was on CNN April 5, 2020, and made claims that are in direct conflict with information from the Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Admiral Giroir.
Specifically, Pritzker stated the following on National TV:
"If they had started in February building ventilators, getting ready for this pandemic, we would not have the problems we are having today and, frankly, very many fewer people would die," he said." (See 1:25 mark of the video)
We contacted the Governor's media contact ([email protected]) and asked two questions:
- How many people have died from not having a Ventilator?
- How many deaths in Illinois are due to any part of the Federal Stockpile not being ready? If such deaths are identified as being due to the Federal Stockpile not being ready, what specifically was not available from the Federal Stockpile in relation to those deaths?
As of publication, we have not recieved any response, nor do we anticipate getting any response considering they have never responded to a single question we have asked in the past.
What we do have is the comment from Admiral Brett P. Giroir, M.D. on April 6, 2020, White House Press Conference.
Admiral Giroir specifically states:
- "We have been able to meet, easily meet all the ventilator requirements that have been brought to us by the State."
- "No-one has not gotten a ventilator that needs a ventilator"
- As far as we can project, looking at all models, every person who needs a ventilator will get a ventilator.
Who do you believe?
- A Governor who removes toilets from his home to avoid paying property tax?
- An Admiral who "authored or co-authored more than 100 scientific publications, editorials and book chapters. He is the recipient of numerous honors and awards, including the U.S. Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service, the American Heart Association’s President Lyndon Baines Johnson Research Award, and the American Society of Nephrology’s President’s Medal. ADM Giroir was the nation’s high school debate champion in 1978. He received a bachelor’s degree in biology, magna cum laude, from Harvard University, and a medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center." (Admiral Giroir)
While we understand there will be those that will insist on believing Pritzker's comments over Admiral Giroir, we ask that you also understand if Pritzker is to be believed, he must be able to back up what he claims. With such a desire to bash the current President and the Federal Administration, this would seem like a great chance for him to prove them wrong. We doubt that will happen with Pritzker. To date, he won't even disclose the number of patients released from the hospital or the number of people who have recovered in this state.
Pritzker made another statement that raised a red flag and points to him being more about political jabs rather than actually dealing with facts or the problem at hand.
"There is no way we can stockpile in anticipation of a pandemic that no one anticipated."
A pandemic that "no-one" anticipated?
It appears, on one hand, Pritzker expects the Federal Government to have anticipated the pandemic and stockpiled for it while on the other hand take no responsibility at the State level for its lack of preparedness.
One only need to read this article to see there was plenty of anticipation of a pandemic as far back as 2000, which makes Pritzker's comment false. The pandemic was anticipated and those in charge through numerous administrations failed to listen to those raising the flag.
What is of importance during any emergency is meeting the needs of those impacted, and according to Admiral Giroir, no-one needing a ventilator has gone without one, making Pritzkers' claim appear to be nothing more than just another daily political jab that does nothing to deal with the challenges the state is facing.
Such misinformation from a Governor of any state is unacceptable and an immediate apology is in order. Anything short of correcting the record and telling the people the truth should result in an immediate resignation.