United States (ECWd) –
For those who are prepared to be intellectually honest with themselves, and put down the political finger-pointing, I urge you to read an article published yesterday, by , but more importantly, read ALL the links in the “DIG IN” tab found in the article. For those who don’t see that tab, below is the evidence provided by the author to support the information in the article.
The information quite frankly should disturb every taxpayer in this country, as it is clear people have not been doing their job, and that fact is a direct contributor to the situation we are dealing with right now with the Chinese Virus COVID-19.
- October 2000 GAO report https://www.gao.gov/assets/240/230940.pdf
- (May 2003) GAO report warning hospitals woefully unprepared, Testimony by Janet Heinreich before Subcommittee before Oversight and Investigations, Committee on Energy & Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives, https://www.gao.gov/mobile/products/GAO-03-769T
- A 2007 U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response Guidance for Healthcare Workers and Healthcare Employers – OSHA telling hospitals to stockpile respirators and other pandemic supplies .https://www.osha.gov/Publications/3328-05-2007-English.html#StockpilesofEssentialResources
- A September 2009 Department of Health & Human Service, Office of Inspector General, State and Local Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Medical Surge: flagged supply shortages https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-02-08-00210.pdf
- An HHS Retrospective on the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic to Advance All Hazards Preparedness (Revised June 15, 2012); report flagging surge weakness https://www.phe.gov/PrepaAn HHS Retrospective on the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemicredness/mcm/h1n1-retrospective/Documents/h1n1-retrospective.pdf
- June 2017 Center for Disease & Prevention report warning of respirator shortages. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/6/16-1417_article
- Column by New York Times writer Farhad Manjoo, March 25, 2020 https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-face-mask.html
Based on the published data linked in the article it appears President Trump’s comment about past administration failures as it relates to the current crisis was spot on.