DuPage Co. (ECWd) – I have said it many times, and it appears once again the statement holds true.
You can’t make this stuff up!
As referenced in this previous article on the Higher Learning Commission’s visit to COD, Daniel Phelan, Jackson College President received a vote of no confidence and the Board did nothing. Actually, they did the opposite of nothing, they voted unanimously in favor of and approval of Phelan. Well it turns out his wining and dining may just play the same role with Jackson Community College as it did with Breuder and COD.
Phelan is tainted with corruption and inappropriate spending at Jackson College and has no business serving on the Higher Learning Commission or any other public office under the circumstances.
From a 2007 Citizen Patriot article:
- In recent years, Jackson Community College President Daniel Phelan has spent thousands on alcohol, meals and trees for his home – without needing approval from the Board of Trustees or anyone else.
- Payments totaling $31,000 from food-service provider Aramark were placed in the Steele fund when it was
running low in 2004 and 2005 – meaning that public money was placed in a pot with private donations
- Some money from the Steele fund was used for political contributions, which is illegal under state law.
- Phelan used the fund last year to make contributions to campaigns of then-state Reps. Leslie Mortimer and Rick Baxter, both Republicans.
- The Secretary of State’s elections division ordered Mortimer to return her $500 check, but the $200 that went to Baxter for a golf outing slipped by
- In one instance, records show a $695.47 credit card charge labeled “travel & entertainment” on a Steele fund expense report went toward separate 2006 wine purchases from Lone Oak Vineyard Estates in Grass Lake and Sandhill Crane Vineyard in Leoni Township.
- $420 to hire a masseuse to give chair massages to stressed-out employees in 2004, while the college was
laying off employees
You can read the article below, which is filled with a massive amount of ethical and legal concerns. I cannot understand how anyone with this type of behavior is allowed to be in charge of our children’s education, let alone in a position to evaluate other schools.
It makes me sick!
[gview file=”https://secureservercdn.net/188.8.131.52/7b1.61b.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Steele-Fund-Jackson-College.pdf” save=”1″]