DuPage Co. (ECWd) –
For months the exposure of wrongdoing has plastered the blogosphere, airwaves, newspapers, and coffee shops. Over the last month it has been a dog-pile with no end in sight for the foreseeable future.
In another shining example of insiders who have had enough with the Administration and Breuder, we received a very interesting example of how employment at COD is about who you know!
“I just thought you would be interested to know how the staff of the College of DuPage Finance Department was put together. It’s not what you know but who you know if you want to work there.”
- Lynn Sapyta is the Asst. VP and Controller and was hired by Tom Glaser when she was taking an early retirement from the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). Whether she was entitled to that early retirement package is another story – see the Crain’s article about how her boss rigged a special deal that she was included in. (Crain’s article)
- Nicholas Peczkowski is the college receivables manager and we have been told was an auditor for Crowe Horwath in the Oakbrook office but have not been able to verify that former position yet. Reports are he also had worked on the college audits for several years.
- Todd Buikema is the Asst. Controller at the college but was an audit manager for Crowe Horwath in the Oakbrook office. Sapyta hired him because he had worked on the CTA audit for Crowe when she was at CTA. Sources tell us the job didn’t exist before Sapyta created it. Crowe Horwath also does the college’s annual audit. (Buikema LinkedIn information)
- David Virgilio is the college Budget Manager and was an auditor for Crowe Horwath in the Oakbrook office. (Virgilio LinkedIn information)
- Maki Jursinic is a college senior accountant and was an auditor for Crowe Horwath in the Oakbrook office.
- Brian Weber was a student employee or intern. His father, John Weber, was the partner for Crowe Horwath in charge of the College’s audit. (Weber Resume) (John Weber Partner information)
- Eugene Refakes is an analyst hired by Sapyta because they worked together at the CTA. He is already getting a CTA pension. The job didn’t exist before Sapyta created it. (Refakes Pension info)
- John Gandor is a construction accountant hired by Sapyta because they worked together at the CTA. He is already getting a CTA pension. The job didn’t exist before Sapyta created it. (Gandor Pension info)
- Vera Humphrey is Tom Glaser’s secretary and reportedly was his secretary at Cook County before Todd Stroger forced Glaser out. Humphrey is already getting a Cook County pension. (Cook County Pension info)
- Ben Harper was hired by Sapyta and promoted to a grant accountant even though he has no experience according to the letter we received. It’s claimed he is married to Sapyta’s niece.
- David Sapyta, son of Lynn – was accounting student at COD and worked at COD according to his face book page. (Dave Sapyta Facebook-works at COD)
As you can see, nice little core group of people with very interesting ties to the financial operations of the College.
Below is the information that was sent to us. Thank you for those with the courage to step up and share important information so that the public is better informed! Next update will expose why doing so is in their best interest!
Thank you to American Transparency and Open the Books for the financial history on these people.
[gview file=”https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Relationship-Tip.pdf” save=”1″]