DOWNS, IL. (ECWd) -
Less than one month after drafting a sexual harassment policy, according to recently released emails and other documents, the Downs Fire Protection District apparently held a Christmas Party on December 2, 2017, and sometime during said party, things turned sexual. The new policy was adopted during the January 2018 meeting.
Piecing together several documents, it appears what is called a "White Elephant Gift" was a tool allegedly used for sexual harassment of the recipient.
In an email from Mark Casada to John Macin several issues surfaced:
- the board terminated Mike Manint
- people involved in a sexual harassment claim were reprimanded
- white elephant gift exchange has been discontinued
Found in the Fire Protection District's January 2018 minutes, is an indication that two individuals were disciplined, although they were unnamed:
- Party #1 received a written warning to be placed in his personnel file
- Party #2 received one day with no pay suspension, with it being documented in the employee file
- Directions to inform the Fire Association that white elephant gift exchanges will no longer be allowed and each person will be provided with a copy of the newly adopted harassment and discrimination policy.
Other questions remain, like what exactly was the gift that lead to the complaint(s)? What were the names of the employees who were disciplined?