NEWTON, IL. (ECWd) -
What is a sure sign a public board wants to hide everything from the public?
- They started acting like little dictators and direct police to remove law-abiding citizens from "their" meeting room - what a great way to tell people you hate them being there and despise their existence.
- Bully and use police intimidation and powers to do remove people from public buildings, even though they are monitoring the actions of Board members.
- They allow their attorney to continually interrupt citizens during their public comment time
- They allow their attorney to continually interrupt a board member they don't agree with, while he is talking during the meeting and while he is participating in public comment
- They allow their superintendent to take disparaging pot-shots at an elected board member during a meeting
- They deny requests for public records
- They spend money on attorneys to fight improper redactions of public records
- They claim records are in paper form and produce some that clearly show electronic redactions
- They greatly exaggerate information provided to the Attorney General's Public Access Counselor
- They refuse to allow a board member time to listen to closed session meeting audio recordings
- They spend over $10,000.00 in attorney fees trying to keep a student from participating in sports because he refuses to cut his hair
- They violate the voter's right to vote and have their vote counted
This and more from your elected school board and its unelected School Superintendent, who, by the way, is not the proper person to be keeping the closed session recordings. That job is the responsibility of the Board Secretary.
What does all this tell us? That they want us to keep attending meetings of the board.