This article was posted at For The Good Of Illinois this morning:
In January, the Edgar County Watchdogs broke this scandal along with my column at Forbes, click here. Six weeks later, new Illinois Auditor General Frank Mautino still hasn’t provided answers on the fact pattern.
Mautino did provide a couple very vague ‘answers,’ which the Ottawa Times – Mautino’s hometown newspaper – thoroughly debunked.
The Illinois Board of Elections opened a probe into the very odd campaign spending. Please read the Illinois Times summary.
Here are just a few of the questions being raised:
- $213,728 in ‘gas’ and ‘vehicle repairs’ at one local service station – Happy’s Super Service Station in Spring Valley, IL – from his campaign fund since 2005.
- $30,000 in additional state ‘travel’ reimbursements (taxpayer money) for legislative duties and service on audit commission since 2005.
- $271,417 in state agency payments to family owned Mautino Distribution Company since 2005 – with a spike in annual payments coinciding with promotion into powerful Speaker Madigan’s House Majority leadership team (2009).
- $33,000 paid to wife’s family’s pizza restaurant on 500 excursions since 1999 from campaign fund.
- $273,973 paid to a local bank from campaign fund – disclosures show $94,000 in loans and principal payments on $26,000 in disclosed loans and nearly $180,000 more in campaign expenses paid to … the bank!