URBANA, IL. (ECWd) -
Samuel J. Byndom, Assistant Superintendent of Schools at Urbana School District 116, was charged earlier this month with eavesdropping.
In previous reports, it was alleged that he purchased a voice activated ink pen and placed it in the closed session meeting room of the School Board prior to their meeting.
Judge Olmstead presided:
- Champaign County 18-CF-1595 - Charge of Eavesdropping, that he intentionally, on October 28, used an eavesdropping device to surreptitiously record all or part of a private conversation in which he was not a party. Mainly a closed meeting of the Urbana School Board.
- Possible penalties are Class 4 Felony with a maximum of 3 years in prison, a fine, and /or probation.
- Defendant requested a preliminary Hearing
- Preliminary Hearing set for December 18, 2018 at 2:30 p.m. in Courtroom B (3rd floor)
- Recognizance Bond set at $3000
Prior to this arraignment, the Court permitted Extended Media Coverage.
Defendants are presumed innocent unless and until found guilty in a court of law.