Arcola Township » feature

Arcola Township fighting 6th FOIA lawsuit –

August 7, 2014   ·   17 Comments

image_pdfimage_print

ARCOLA, IL. (ECWd) –

Yet again, and hopefully the last time, Arcola Township has had another Freedom of Information Act civil suit filed against them for their alleged failure to comply with the FOIA. This makes this the 6th active civil suit under FOIA against Arcola Township.

Case Number: 2014-MR-34 was filed a little after 11:30 this morning and can be followed online (here).

There is really nothing more I can say that I haven’t already said on the requirement to provide public records when requested. Everybody knows that already, no sense in beating a dead horse.

Read the other Arcola Township articles (here) or the suit below:

Download (PDF, 5.43MB)

By

Readers Comments (17)

1. gone too far says:

So I gather nothing happened?!

• jmkraft says:

Working on an article now…

2. Richey Rich says:

I wonder what kind of shenanigans Petty will pull in court tomorrow. I am sure it will only put the inevitable on hold and reach in the taxpayers’ pocket once again. I do hope I am wrong. Good luck ECWd.

• jmkraft says:

Court date is Friday the 26th…

• Richey Rich says:

My mistake, I must have been eager for the 26th to get here.

3. just wondering says:

T.H.I’m a little confused by your post.It seems Deana barely spends 32hrs./wk at the Township Office during the week,and now you say she and Mark are up there early on a Saturday moring.Now we’ve all seen Main St.up town early on a Saturday moring,little or no traffic,very quite,not much going on let alone any people milling around,so I don’t think anybody would disturb them.But your probably right,their most likely shredding old records,and deleting computer files.

4. Trojan Horse says:

Things must be heating up. Deana and Mark were up at the township office early this Saturday morning. Do you think she was getting all of those records shredded. Maybe they have an IRS computer so records just disappear.

5. Newshound says:

I find it intresting that Chris Slack has two Guest Commentaries in the last two weeks,one dealing with FOIA’s,the other with Incumbents.Knowing that Mark and Deana read the paper front to back,maybe he’s sending a message!

6. Lake Lady says:

As more time goes by those that can think for themselves see what the Watchdogs are trying to accomplish,fix what is broken at the local level of goverment.There is something wrong at Arcola Township,otherwise they would simply answer the FOIA’s,I know that and so do the Watchdogs,that’s why they won’t go away.Eventually the court system will act on these lawsuits,and Mark,Deana,Bill,Corky,and the rest of the board will be held accountable.The sooner the better.

7. I remember says:

Rick Sullivan,since you are not from around here I can help you understand what the locals are up aganist.I remember when Randy Willams and Terry Foran went to a Township meeting to ask about credit cards paid for by the Township that appeared to go on a vacation trip out of state.When the issue was brought up at the meeting apparently no explaination was given before they were ushered out of the door.So you see Rick,that’s what we are fighting here.Good “Ole Boy”Mark has given or done something for alot of people here in Arcola,usually at taxpayers expence,weather with equipment or other resources payed for with tax dollars.And let’s not forget to mention secretary Deana Shields,who has been there for over 25yrs.,with her locked door and iron fist she runs the Board to suit here needs,just look at her salary and benfit package.If you get a chance go back and read some of the many posts over the past year and a half,I think you will get a better understanding of what we are up aganist here in Arcola.

• RICK SULLIVAN says:

We love the watchdogs and what they stand for…these are my tax dollars wasted in every twp. and county…Kirk AND John keep up the great work and everyone else please send a donation to them..

8. gone too far says:

I do not understand their thinking, but then, I do not have “attorney at law” behind my name.

9. old says:

Mr Petty, I knew you several years ago, I felt you were a honorable upstanding person. I see now you have become a person who needs to be removed from the IL. Bar Assoc. You are a person who gives other attorneies who are honest and have good ethic practices a bad rap. Shame on you and those who support and work for you. If there is a way to remove you and your ilk from public service it should be pursued.

10. Rick says:

Where are the residents of Arcola Township? Why aren’t they putting pressure on the board?

11. Unhappy Taxpayers says:

No.6-The Arcola Township Board is willingly spending taxpayer dollars and refuse to follow the laws they were elected to uphold,in order to hide their worng doing.I agree with Mr.Johnson,hoping the courts will punish them for their behavior,and make them accountable to the voters.Mr.Johnson,even though are a land owner in Douglas Co.,I’m sure Mark,Deana,Bill,and Mr.petty feel you have no right to an opinion on this matter because you don’t live here.GO DOGS!

12. Stephen Johnson says:

I do NOT live in Edgar County, but I am a land owner in Douglas County. I do not live in Arcola Township, or even live in Illinois. But as a person of interest in civil equality, I find the behavior of the Township of Arcola, Douglas County, Illinois, reprehensible in view of the Laws of Illinois.

Good going Kirk, I hope the Circuit Court finds for you and fines Arcola Township the maximum penalty for such flagrant behavior.

Maybe, just maybe, a flurry of lawsuits might get their attention? How about a Federal suit? Am unsure how that might play. Keep up the good work.

13. RICK SULLIVAN says:

Watch dogs don’t quit ….They always stay on the trail and you cannot out run the truth